Using one of the sites below, or any site of your own choosing that offers visual access to a complex information space, evaluate whether and how it affords Overview, Zoom, Filtering, and Details on Demand (Ben Shneiderman’s design values). Are size, color, proximity, used semantically? Does the user navigate up and down a hierarchy? across a network? Can the user rearrange the elements? Is there a choice of multiple granularities? What is an example of a specific task that the site supports particularly well or particularly badly?
Janet H. Murray
From MIT Press December 2011
From Inventing the Medium: The Book
- Ch 0 Introduction
- Design Exercises
- I Changing Technologies, Lasting Innovations
- II Expressive Procedural Design
- III Spatial Design Strategies
- IV Encyclopedic Resources
- V Scripting the Interactor
- VI Onward with Invention!
Hamlet on the Holodeck
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.