In Inventing the Medium I devote a chapter to the Companion Model as one way of scripting the interactor. I talk about the recurring fantasy of the computer as a perfect mind-reading servant. Siri, the voice-activated app on the iPhone, is the most ambitious attempt so far at creating a servant companion and its successes and failures illustrate the principles in this chapter.
Janet H. Murray
From MIT Press December 2011
From Inventing the Medium: The Book
- Ch 0 Introduction
- Design Exercises
- I Changing Technologies, Lasting Innovations
- II Expressive Procedural Design
- III Spatial Design Strategies
- IV Encyclopedic Resources
- V Scripting the Interactor
- VI Onward with Invention!
Hamlet on the Holodeck
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.